Ever wondered about the origins of the names of our towns in the Warburton Valley. More than just a name, these explanation also reveal the deep elements of our history and values. Enjoy.
The rural locality of Beenak is thought to take its name from an Aboriginal word for "hand-basket".
Big Pats Creek
Named after Partick O'Hannigan, an Irish miner who found gold there in 1860.
Timber mill owners A Cameron and FJ Barton named Cambarville. They established the mill to salvage timber from trees destroyed in the 1939 bushfires.
Named after an English highwayman and cattle thief whose real name was Patrick MacGregor.
Gruyere was first surveyed in 1858. The locality's Swiss name was suggested by winegrower Paul de Castella. Cahilltown (after early settler Richard Cahill) is an official alternative placename.
Named after Victoria's first Surveyor-General, Robert Hoddle.
Originally the terminus for flat-bottomed timber boats taking supplies to the Wood's Point gold diggings, Launching Place was once called Ewart's after the landlord of the Home Hotel.
The suburb took its name from the local railway station, which, in turn, was named after a saw milling business.
Mount Donna Buang
Known to early European settlers as Mount Ackerley or Mount Acland, after the soldier Colonel Acland Anderson. Mount Donna Buang is a form of its Aboriginal name, meaning "the body of the mountain".
Mount Evelyn was named after Evelyn Heales, daughter of Richard Heales, Victorian Premier (1860-1861).
One of Australia's greatest sawmilling towns between the economic depressions of the 1890s and the 1930s, Powelltown was named after a new process of wood preservation, the Powell method.
Created in 1885, Seville was initially called "a township in the parish of Wandin Yalloak". A year later it was named Redlands, but as there was already a town with this name, it was renamed Seville in May 1886 after the daughter of resident William Henry Smith.
Wandin (Wandin East/North/Yallock)
The name Wandin is a contraction of Wandin Yallock, meaning swift-running stream. This was fruit-growing country from a very early date and land sold quickly from the mid-1860s.
The township of Wandin Yalloak in the Yarra Valley was proclaimed in 1874. When Seville was proclaimed in 1885, Wandin Yalloak's name was changed to Redlands, but reverted in 1954 to Wandin Yallock, with the spelling changed from Yalloak to Yallock.
Warburton was originally called Yankee Jim's after the nearby creek (named after Jim McAvoy, a Canadian who travelled from the Californian gold rush to try his luck in Victoria in 1859). In 1863 it was renamed after the district police magistrate and gold warden Charles Warburton Carr.
The Lands Department subdivided residential and farm lots at the Warburton Village Settlement between Yarra Junction and Warburton in the 1890s. Later called West Warburton, the name was abbreviated to Wesburn in 1925.
It has various spellings (Wori Yolaok/Worri Yalloak) and its name derives from an Aboriginal term meaning "running creek".
Yarra Junction is located on the Warburton Highway, just east of where the Little Yarra River joins the Yarra River. The locality changed its name from Little Yarra Junction in 1908.
The Yarra Valley is the name given to the upper reaches surrounding the Yarra River.
Yellingbo was originally known as "Claxton" (after a storekeeper) and "Parslows Bridge" (after a man who married the daughter of the first storekeeper) before taking the name of the district's last-known Aboriginal inhabitant in the 1940s. The word "Yellingbo" reputedly means "this day" or "today".
Source: Herald Sun